Children's Music and Worship Intern
REPORT TO: Minister for Music
- Approximately 10 hours per week, 10 months of the year
- Anticipated to be Thursdays and Sundays
- Must be available during major liturgical periods (Christmas Eve, Holy Week, Easter)
TENURE: 1-3 year term, pending agreement and review.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The primary role of the Music & Worship Intern is to oversee the vocal music experiences for kids in grades 1-8, initially directing two existing groups - the Primary Choir (gr. 1-2) and Voices of GCC (gr. 3-8) - but consider configuring ensembles & rehearsals to fit best practices and community needs as determined collaboratively with the music ministry staff. Further, the Intern will serve as assistant to other church ensembles (Bell Choir, Chancel Choir, etc.) as the schedule allows. We wish to provide the Intern an opportunity to gain valuable experience and skills for work in music ministry.
- Prepare the Children's Choir(s) grades K-8 to sing at Sunday worship service periodically September through May, and to sing at Pageant and Christmas Eve worship.
- Lead rehearsals of the Children’s Choirs approximately once each week during the choir season. Lead a warm-up rehearsal with children before worship when they sing.
- Prepare the Children’s Choir(s) to present a musical or special worship service once per choir season.
- In collaboration with Minister for Music and Chancel Choir Director, identify opportunities for the children’s choirs to sing with adult ensembles.
- Work with Children’s Choir volunteers to keep Children’s Choir library and database organized and maintained. Assist in music distribution, collection, and organization of Music Ministry libraries as needed.
- Meet as needed with music staff and ministers to plan worship services.
- Play in/Assist the Joyful Ringers bell choir when needed/schedule allows (Thursdays 6:15-7:20p)
- Sing in the Chancel Choir and assist Director of Adult Choirs with sectional rehearsals and section leading when needed/schedule allows (Thursdays 7:30-9:15p and Sundays 9:15a for pre-service warm-up)
- Depending on the intern’s abilities, s/he will have the opportunity to on occasion lead the Adult Choir or other ensembles, play the organ in service, accompany soloists and ensembles, and/or provide other special music.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Upper level undergraduate/graduate student in music, worship or related program.
- Basic conducting and rehearsal technique required.
- Ability to lead music in worship.
- Proficiency in guitar and/or keyboard strongly preferred.
- Confident vocal/singing ability is expected.
- Willingness to learn new/unfamiliar roles and skills.
- Ability to work cooperatively with other music staff, church staff and volunteers.
BENEFIT: PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Ability to attend conferences and seminars as needed to develop/enhance craft or job skills.
- Mentoring by Minister of Music & Director of Adult Choirs.
- Meeting with key staff members to learn more about their ministry areas.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: To be negotiated.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Submit cover letter and resumes with references to Gary Wendt, minister for music, at email@example.com